Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Countdown

So I'm launching into a whole new career (or two). My current job is ending in 26 days, and I'm so blessedly relieved to be done with it. I'm losing my love of writing, and that is just not cool. I will miss the good people, mostly those in the middle and bottom of our weird hierarchy. I am mostly not bitter, but there are days when I'm dumbstruck, again, that people would behave badly and foolishly because I would not behave that way. I mean, I am perfectly capable of being bad and foolish, but in other ways. 

Anyhow, onto bigger, bolder things. 

In the last few months, I've been teaching in the GED program for migrant farmworkers and their families. Those hours have been the best of my workday. My students are working so hard, and this test is not easy, especially for those who've been away from school. 

In the last few years, I've been taking a class each quarter. A few years ago, it was winemaking and wine appreciation. Last year, it was Spanish. This year it's chemistry and an international development class that took me to Nicaragua. It's all leading to great things. In a few years, I will be making people feel better, one way or another. 

I will teach where they need me. I will take a ton of classes. I will save money and stop buying shoes and coffee and other luxuries unless it's urgent. I will not forget the lessons I've learned from Nicaragua, and I will be bold and compassionate. 

So that's it for now. To infinity, and beyond!  

No comments:

Post a Comment